Episode 10 of Public Key, the Chainalysis podcast, is here! In this episode, we discuss crypto investing fundraising in a market downturn
Public Key Episode 10 preview: Investing and raising funds in volatile markets, tokenization vs infrastructure and betting on long term founders.
In this episode of Public Key, our host, Ian Andrews (CMO at Chainalysis) is joined by Ed Sim (Founder and Managing Partner, Boldstart Ventures) to discuss what it takes to build companies in an economic downturn, how he finds great founders, and what crypto tech gets him excited.
The conversation addresses tokenization versus infrastructure, databases versus blockchain, and why Boldstart just raised two new funds to continue building their crypto portfolio despite heightened volatility and fear around the current bear market.
Quote of the episode
“Most of these quote unquote perceived enterprise use cases, you just needed a database. Like you didn’t really need the blockchain and all this other stuff around it, but the ones that lived the ones that did really well were core infrastructure.” ..– Ian Andrews (Chief Marketing Officer, Chainalysis)
Minute-by-minute episode breakdown
- (2:05) – Boldstart’s crypto origin story of partnering with tech founders before company creation and creation of tipping using crypto
- (4:25) – Boldstart partners with IBM to review blockchain enterprise use cases and future investment opportunities
- (6:40) – The difference between needing a database versus a blockchain
- (11:25) – The strategy to investing into the core infrastructure of crypto applications and user experience
- (15:27) –Raising funds during a volatile or bear market
- (18:00) – How investment into crypto is moving away from just projects with tokens to also projects with infrastructure alone
- (26:18) –How do you pick crypto founders that are thinking long term sustainable growth to invest in
Check out more resources provided by Chainalysis that perfectly complement this episode of the Public Key.
- Blog: The Trades That Triggered UST’s Collapse
- Boldstart Newsletter: Ed Sim’s weekly readings and notes on enterprise VC, software, and scaling startups
- Boldstart Website: The Chainalysis 2022 Crypto Crime Report
- Boldstart Fund Announcement: Announcing $367M in new Boldstart Venture Capital funds
- Video: Chainalysis Links New York 2022 (Video Replays)
Speakers on today’s episode
- Ian Andrews * Host * (Chief Marketing Officer, Chainalysis) https://www.linkedin.com/in/ianhandrews
- Ed Sim (Founder and Managing Partner, Boldstart Ventures) https://twitter.com/edsim
This website may contain links to third-party sites that are not under the control of Chainalysis, Inc. or its affiliates (collectively “Chainalysis”). Access to such information does not imply association with, endorsement of, approval of, or recommendation by Chainalysis of the site or its operators, and Chainalysis is not responsible for the products, services, or other content hosted therein.
Our podcasts are for informational purposes only, and are not intended to provide legal, tax, financial, or investment advice. Listeners should consult their own advisors before making these types of decisions. Chainalysis has no responsibility or liability for any decision made or any other acts or omissions in connection with your use of this material.
Chainalysis does not guarantee or warrant the accuracy, completeness, timeliness, suitability or validity of the information in any particular podcast and will not be responsible for any claim attributable to errors, omissions, or other inaccuracies of any part of such material.
Unless stated otherwise, reference to any specific product or entity does not constitute an endorsement or recommendation by Chainalysis. The views expressed by guests are their own and their appearance on the program does not imply an endorsement of them or any entity they represent. Views and opinions expressed by Chainalysis employees are those of the employees and do not necessarily reflect the views of the company.