Episode 26 of Public Key, the Chainalysis podcast, is here! In this episode, we have an inspiring and impactful discussion with Alex Bornyakov, Ukraine’s Deputy Minister of the Ministry of Digital Transformation for IT Development, about building for the digital future in Ukraine.
Public Key Episode 26 preview: Utilizing Crypto to defend against invasion
In the 7 months since Russia invaded Ukraine, we have all watched in horror at the needless loss of life and senseless destruction of a free and democratic nation. But simultaneously we have also been inspired by the bravery and resilience of the Ukrainians.
In this week’s special episode, Alex Bornyakov, the Ukrainian (Deputy Minister of Digital Transformation of Ukraine on IT industry development joins our host, Ian Andrews (CMO) to discuss a wide range of topics including the role of Crypto in Ukraine’s fundraising and defense efforts and Alex’s plans to attract tech investment into the country with initiatives like Diia city.
Alex touches on his journey from tech entrepreneur to government minister and leaves the audience with inspiring words on how Ukraine will not give up home and continue to build during the invasion.
Quote of the episode
“We realized that Ukraine is gonna survive. We realized that they’re [Russia] not gonna destroy us, which was actually their goal. Just completely eradicate Ukraine from the world map. We want to show that we’re not just fighting the enemy, we’re also building our future.” -Alex Bornyakov (Deputy Minister of Digital Transformation of Ukraine on IT industry development, Ukraine)
Minute-by-minute episode breakdown
- (2:08) – Alex’s origin story going from tech startups to Deputy Minister of Digital Transformation of Ukraine
- (5:35) – Mining Bitcoin and missing out on becoming an early crypto millionaire
- (12:45) – The future of payments being based on blockchain technology and the metaverse
- (16:33) – Ukraine’s appreciation for the International response to the invasion by Russia even though some countries and businesses are suffering financial losses
- (19:35) – Hosting the Kiev Tech Summit in the midst of the war and the support of Vitalik Buterin
- (23:15) – Behind the scene of one of the largest Crypto fundraisers in the World
- (26:45) – Diia City and the benefits of being a part of this digital city
Check out more resources provided by Chainalysis that perfectly complement this episode of the Public Key.
- Website: Diia.City: Enables businesses to run openly, profitably and conveniently.
- Fundraising: Help Ukraine with crypto, don’t leave us alone with the enemy
- Website: UNITED24 was launched by the President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyy as the main venue for collecting charitable donations in support of Ukraine
- Blog: $2 Million and Counting: How Dozens of Pro-Russian Groups Are Using Cryptocurrency Donations to Fund the War in Ukraine
- Podcast: Episode 2: Is Crypto The New Way To Fundraise During War? (with Kimberly Grauer, Director of Research at Chainalysis)
Speakers on today’s episode
- Ian Andrews * Host * (Chief Marketing Officer, Chainalysis) https://www.linkedin.com/in/ianhandrews
- Alex Bornyakov (Deputy Minister of Digital Transformation of Ukraine on IT Industry Development)
The 2022 Geography of Cryptocurrency Report
Everything you need to know about crypto trends around the world!
This website may contain links to third-party sites that are not under the control of Chainalysis, Inc. or its affiliates (collectively “Chainalysis”). Access to such information does not imply association with, endorsement of, approval of, or recommendation by Chainalysis of the site or its operators, and Chainalysis is not responsible for the products, services, or other content hosted therein.
Our podcasts are for informational purposes only, and are not intended to provide legal, tax, financial, or investment advice. Listeners should consult their own advisors before making these types of decisions. Chainalysis has no responsibility or liability for any decision made or any other acts or omissions in connection with your use of this material.
Chainalysis does not guarantee or warrant the accuracy, completeness, timeliness, suitability or validity of the information in any particular podcast and will not be responsible for any claim attributable to errors, omissions, or other inaccuracies of any part of such material.
Unless stated otherwise, reference to any specific product or entity does not constitute an endorsement or recommendation by Chainalysis. The views expressed by guests are their own and their appearance on the program does not imply an endorsement of them or any entity they represent. Views and opinions expressed by Chainalysis employees are those of the employees and do not necessarily reflect the views of the company.